Saturday, February 11, 2012

Run For Sherry

Last night, my running friend and I were texting back-and-forth.  Basically, we didn't want to run outside. It was going to be colder than usual. And we didn't want to get out of bed.

This morning, we sucked it up and ran.
We met at 6 a.m. and we ran after a brief walk up the first incline.

The temperature display at the bank registered 29 degrees.  I didn't have that Sherry's race bib (because I was so certain we wouldn't be running this a.m.).  And I also didn't bring along my gloves.
But when we started, I just knew this run is for Sherry.

About a mile into it, I couldn't help but think about Sherry possibly meeting her unfortunate circumstance.  From what I have read, it seemed like she got abducted about a mile from where she started running. We ran through a neighborhood and then, got onto a bypass where there were a lot of logging trucks passing.  Every step of the way, she was on my mind. 

My running friend and I barely talked during the run.  Mostly it was because I was running faster than I had been used to. I did a lot of talking in my head though. I wondered about Sherry. I talked to "The Big Guy" who is supposed to be watching over us (I don't really have a religion, but I believe, there's some divine powers). I asked The Big Guy to watch over Sherry's family. To help the healing process. And to help find her.
 
The run was quiet.  The head wind was cold.  The hills were difficult. 
But I saw how the sun slowly rise. I saw a huge flock of black birds fly across the vast somewhat dark purplish sky. I caught a whiff of laundry in someone's home. Nature. Nature's beauty. It is all worth getting out of bed for.  I am sure these are a few reasons why Sherry was out that morning.

I don't know who Sherry is. But runners in this running/blogging community do stick together. At least, we all know Sherry and us share the same hobby - running.  The thing is, I don't think my outside runs will be without Sherry anymore. Since the day it happened, whenever I run outside, I carry her with me, however briefly it might be.

"Dear Big Guy, bless her family. And please send her home."

2 comments:

Thanks for reading! Do leave me a comment or two. They keep me motivated.