Thursday, June 28, 2012

"Think Like a Pot Roast: Low and Slow"

A few weeks ago, I received a mail from a friend who has started training for her first half marathon. She is training with Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Team in Training and has pledged to raise $1,000.  I said I would help her spread the word a little. So, here's a little Q&A with Cassandra.


1. Favorite song to run to?
I usually put on a radio app like AOL Radio or Pandora, and just let it stream. I like slow R&B to help slow down my pace, but if I had to pick a go-to power song, it would be "Bring Me to Life" by Evanescence.

2. What's one quote you tell yourself when the going gets tough during the run?
"Think like a pot roast: low and slow."

3. Name one random funny/odd/unforgettable thing your saw or encountered during a run?
A few weeks ago I saw a dead turtle AND a dead rabbit in the road. Moral of that story: Diesel truck beats both the tortoise and the hare.

4. Any goals / time goals for your half marathon?
I'm still early in my training, so right now, I just want to finish.

5. Morning runner/afternoon lunch time runner/ late night runner?
Depending on my schedule, I run morning, evening and night. I would probably prefer evenings, 6, 7 p.m. or so.

6. Treadmill runner or a runner who prefers to be outside?
I used to be HANDS DOWN the treadmill, but the outdoors is growing on me, especially as it gets hotter. My gym is SO hot, I don't mind hitting the neighborhood if it's cool outside.

7. What's something your learned about yourself through running?
That I and everyone can do more than we give ourselves credit for.

Lastly, here are the words from my friend:
"Teams are made up of individuals. Without them, there is no team."
"I have a mission-to help find cures and more effective treatments for blood cancers. To accomplish that mission, I’m participating in a sports endurance event as a member of The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Team In Training. Like the other members of TNT, I will be raising funds to help find cures and better treatments for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma. I’m improving the quality of my life by participating and with your support, I can help improve the quality of life for patients and their families as well."
"Please make a donation in support of my efforts with Team In Training and help advance the research for cures."

You may follow Cassandra's training and help her out with her fund-raising efforts at See Cassandra Run by clicking HERE.
..

5 comments:

  1. Moral of that story: Diesel truck beats both the tortoise and the hare.
    Hahaha love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running does help us learn we can do more for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your first marathon. ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. And good luck, Cassandra, on the upcoming big race!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Do leave me a comment or two. They keep me motivated.