Friday, January 20, 2017

Strength-Trainings Isn't Just for the Boys

I am not a newbie when it comes to working out.
I was a runner even when I was a wee kid, running after and with my daddy in the evenings.
In college, first career, in graduate school, I engaged in some sort of heavy cardio, some spinning, some yoga, weight-lifting and pilates.   I can truly say I never disliked fitness. Sometimes, I like it more than other times.
Then, I ran again. For years. I was devoted to running.
I love the high it brings post 5 miles.
I love how I never want it to end post 8 miles.
Screw cross-training. I don't need it. I have run. (I'll admit, that's so WRONG).

After the birth of my son, I struggled to get back to my running. I didn't have the time to devote to running. Between not sleeping at nights and a full-time job during the day, and being a mom and wife in my other awaken hours, it was difficult to squeeze in time to get a run in. And even when I did, the body just did not do what it was supposed to do. It hurt in the most random of places after an easy short run.
I was discouraged.
I was disappointed.

Honestly. I was dragging my feet through life. I was not happy with myself.  I love motherhood. But I need a shot of energy after work so I can truly be in the present, so I can truly engage, so I can dance with my baby, toddler and not get out of breath.
How did I get to this state of frump and lump? I don't know. Lack of sleep will do that to you. Then, it spiraled into ridiculous eating habits. You know, where you consume grilled organic chicken breast over a bed of quinoa and a side of spinach, and then you hovered over and inhaled a pan of chocolate cake, and then you pushed some salty baked potato chips into your mouth.

At some point, I got sick and tired of feeling shitty and blah.
I decided to take control and worked on working on my core. In my mind, it makes sense. If you have no core strength, you are going to fail. You need to be strong. A flower isn't going to stand tall if the core stem is limpy.

I did a few programs since - mostly HIIT and weight training.
When I ran my come-back 5K in October, I could definitely feel the difference. Working on strengthening my body has made me a better runner. It has also helped me achieve weight-loss goals and helped keep it off.

Here is an article about the benefits of strength-training.
Give it a read. I hope it will convince you to add some strength-training into your fitness routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Do leave me a comment or two. They keep me motivated.