Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sunday reflections

My plan was to run an easy semi-long run of about 6 or 7 miles.  The first mile was all right. I can't help thinking and worrying and needed something to get all the worries/frustration out. I needed to do a fartlek of some sort just so my mind will stay focused on something else.

I didn't sleep a wink at all. I don't know how I feel. I thought a lot about regrets and my parents and the future.  It's kinda sucky feeling.  With each step pounding on the gravel path, that regretful, sucky feeling dove deeper and deeper.  I needed a break from dwelling.  So, I changed plans and did speed work.  I focused on my breathing, the turnover of my legs, and just thought of going faster and faster.  I ran really fast for 0.5 mile, took a break and continued running another 0.5 mile.  I was quite sleepy and I had forgotten to turn on my Garmin on my second 0.5 mile, so I walked back to the starting line and started sprinting again.  Here are the splits:
Mile 1 in 11:23/mile
Mile 0.5 in 4:29 min @ 8:45min/mile
Mile 0.5 in 4:42 min @ 9:25min/mile.
I used to bake over and over until I "worked" all the sucky thoughts out, but since I am watching my weight, I needed an alternative. With this run,my mind focused on running and nothing else for a solid 20 minutes.  It was kinda fast. Now, I just needed to sustain that pace over a longer distance.

After my run, I slept and woke up around 10ish because a family friend came to swim with her girls.  So, I went out there and swam and played with the girls. Talking to little kiddos is awesome. It did brighten up my Sunday.

I hope you are having a good Sunday.  If you have family/friends who are sick or just not doing well, I sure hope a steady and speedy recovery for them.  And for the rest of you, enjoy your time and share lots of love with your family and friends.  No use being angry or hateful for things that happened before. Those are ugly emotions that will eat you up inside.  Instead, do love, cherish and be kind. Everyone can use love, kindness and respect.

5 comments:

  1. hey, those are quick sprints. good job. and u will get faster on longer runs. i remember not being able to run under 10 min/miles and now its much much easier.

    so, i didnt do my 11 miler today. :(
    will have to do it tomorrow. i hate when that happens. but oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you're having a tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job getting out there for a run to get your mind off things. I'm glad your day turned around a little. There is nothing like conversations with kids to make everything a little better. They are so innocently optismistic. I hope you are doing even better today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have a lot going on right now. I hope everything turns out positive! You are doing AWESOME with your runs!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow great speed work! I really need to get out and do speed work. I am a new runner and my focus has been on enduring longer distances and pace but I know speed work will help with pace. I'm inspired to do speed work now, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Do leave me a comment or two. They keep me motivated.