Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Training Starts Now!

New week.
New goals.
New TRAINING SEASON!!!  (Love training for something. I hate running around aimlessly.)

Today marks the start of a new training season.
The next half marathon is on Oct 29th. (More about this specific race in later posts).
Christine helped me find a half marathon training program on Saturday evening.  I settled on Galloway's. Basically, I will do two 30-minute runs on the weekdays and a long run on the weekends.  For the 30 minute runs, I am doing some modifications. I am going to run with a purpose - fartleks, hills, tempo... you know... all that good stuff. Today, I ran 30 minutes, 2.85 miles, average 10:30/mile, at 1% incline.


Sleep has been really funky!
I am totally functioning on a not-school-night sleeping hour. That translates to sleep all day and stay up all night.  Which also means that my running, despite being the first thing I do in the morning, is actually the last thing I do before I go to bed (at 7 a.m.)
Told you it was funky!

Here are a few random thoughts and things that happened today.
    I am one who needs to be in control. Running gives me absolute control of myself (compared to my life, where my decisions pretty much revolve around someone, something etc.) 

    Corinthians 13:1 to 13:13.   I'm not a Christian, but this is so true. And I will learn to love with respect, with kindness. There are many good morals that anyone can learn and will likely benefit from. 

    Starting today, for a week, I will be without any soda. No Diet Cherry Limeades, no Coke Zero, no Diet Coke. Just water and unsweetened iced tea and milk and juice.  So far, this day is good.

    I got this wonderful gift from a friend from graduate school in the mail today. She is the nicest, kindest, most sincere Christian I have ever met.  I can talk to her about god without her telling me that her god is the best, is the real deal. We can have open discussions about things like that. Her actions speak of a true Christian. Anyway, she sent this book to me because we had a conversation about Christ, and since I was a journalist before I was a speech-language pathologist

    And that sums up today.  Tomorrow, I am going to strength-train/cross-train. I cannot wait to run again on Thursday!

    And if you are hesitating about doing a half marathon, or 10K, or the whole entire freaking marathon, sign up! Live this remaining summer, fall and winter with a goal, with something to look forward too.

    When I run, the stress in my body melts away.

      12 comments:

      1. Always good to have a goal - I find my running is much better when I have my sights set on a race! Good luck with your training. Can't wait to hear which race you picked!

        ReplyDelete
      2. I need to have a goal so that I stay focused with training. Good luck getting ready for your half in October!!

        ReplyDelete
      3. I like the combination of at times running with a goal and at other times not so much.

        ReplyDelete
      4. Good luck with your no-pop week! If you find yourself craving it try Kona Cola Nuun. :)

        ReplyDelete
      5. Nice workout!!! That's awesome you picked a training plan. :) You can totally make it a week without soda.

        ReplyDelete
      6. We should chat about Galloway....I am 99% going to use his program for my half this fall.

        ReplyDelete
      7. I'm glad you like his program, I think the modification on the 30 min runs will work perfectly for you! Good luck with training and staying injury-free!!

        ReplyDelete
      8. So glad you found your next race to sign up for! It always makes running easier, for me, to have that end goal in sight. :)

        ReplyDelete
      9. Goals are great! Love, love, love your last quote :-)

        ReplyDelete
      10. I'm doing the same half marathon as you! :) Exciting stuff!

        ReplyDelete
      11. Good luck with your new training plan and giving up soda

        ReplyDelete
      12. Good luck with training! It definitely makes my runs more disciplined. No diet soda for a week? I'd love to be able to do that, but i think i'd kill someone! Let me know what you think about the book?

        ReplyDelete

      Thanks for reading! Do leave me a comment or two. They keep me motivated.