Saturday, July 30, 2016

Counts as a vegetable, tastes like a carb.

Let's talk food.

Superfood.

That's the buzz word these days, isn't it?

Well, earlier this week, I bought a whole butternut squash. I have been buying the ones already cubed in a bag but this week, I was feeling brave and bought the whole thing. I wasn't sure what to do with it. But nothing Youtube and Pinterest can't fix.
Youtube and Pinterest are my go-to problem-solvers these days. It started with "How to give a newborn a bath" three years ago. And it is has morphed into "How to take apart (car seat model) to wash" and today, "How to prepare butternut squash."

So I cut it apart, scoop the seeds out, quartered it and slice the skin off, then, I cut into cubes.
Toss it in a big pan, drizzle a little olive oil, and bake at 350 until tender (about 30 minutes).

Since I'll have enough to eat for days, I went ahead and had some for breakfast.
I got a serving, threw some peanut butter over it, drizzle some raw honey, and sprinkled some cinnamon. Hello Morning!!


Here is the nutritional comparison between butternut squash and sweet potato I found on Popsugar. I love sweet potato. But since it is considered a carb when I am following my meal plan, I like to find "substitute." Butternut squash tastes almost like sweet potato to me. So, this was a no brainer. Butternut squash counts as a vegetable but it tastes like a carb.

There you go. How do you like your butternut squash? Share any recipes with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Do leave me a comment or two. They keep me motivated.